Tuesday, April 1, 2008

A Week At the Theater.

   
  
     

xanadu
    
 









 Last week I devoted myself to seeing as many broadway shows as I could for the for the last days of my spring break. Fortunately, I got tickets to four shows, those being "A Chorus Line," "Gypsy," "Xanadu," and "A Catered Affair." So I something old, something new, something Patti, and something Harvey.
I'll sort these shows from best to worst. In my opinion, "Gypsy," starring Patti Lupone was the best out the four. It's the story of a "Show biz" mother who wants her daughters to be big stars. She was PHENOMENAL!!!! With her singing and acting, the St. James Theater with be sold out for weeks! But I'll note another theater goer's point of view...this man saw the orginal Gypsy with Ethel Merman and she performed without a microphone. I also loved the story. Collar's UP!
A Chorus Line, Let's just say... "God I hope I Get It". I loved the show and the music, but I had trouble understanding what the whole story and moral were supposed to mean. I know it was about the lives of dancers and the stress of auditioning, but is there something more than that? Can Someone give me an answer? I give it a collar's up. "Xanadu" on the other hand, was a piece of candy to me, (nothing special). The story was about a muse who had a crush on a guy who wanted to build a roller disco. It was simple, and I'll probably forget I saw it in month or two. Collar's Down.
Lastly, I saw "A Catered Affair." It was another simple show... about poor people who want to get married. The acting was great, but the music wasn't memorable. The producers still have time to change things around because I saw the show when it was only in it's 5th preview! Harvey Fierstein and Faith Prince were great in it though. I definitely think that Faith and Patti are major contenders for the Tony this year. I'll give it a just a 'collar' until I see what the critics think when it opens April 17th
             
Charlotte d'Amboise in A CHORUS LINEXANADU Tickets

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE PATTI LUPONE, AND YOUR BLOG!!!!!!!!!!