Thursday, January 17, 2008

MY KIND OF MOVIE: Sweeney Todd: the demon barber of Fleet Street


For those of you who don’t know what Sweeney Todd is, it’s the gruesome story of a barber seeking revenge after he is falsely accused of a crime he didn’t commit. He then learns that a judge kidnapped his beautiful daughter Joanna. To comfort his anger, he murders innocent men in need of a shave; HE SLITS PEOPLE’S THROATS! Along with his partner in crime, Mrs. Lovet, they create a successful business of making meat pies out of the human flesh!


I give this movie a big “collar's up!”Johnny Depp’s acting was superb, but Helena Bonham Carter’s performance was adequate...she’s not a good singer. The great thing about the movie was the young cast. Compared to the the Broadway cast, the movie’s cast was at least 20 years younger. The score, music, and art direction were great as well.

I loved this movie, and it makes me want to see the theatrical production are put it on at my school the more I think about it. Can you believe I didn’t actually see the real thing on Broadway yet! I would have seen it but I was probably too young or it close before I wanted to see it. I also was hoping to see it on tour in Miami, but it was sold out. I guess I’ll have to wait for another revival.







                                     
                                       
Patti Lupone and Michael Cerveris: 2006 Broadway Cast

No comments: